After installing SharePoint 2010, the search web part does not work. When I try searching for something in the search box, SharePoint displays the following error message “The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service.” This is probably due to the fact that the Search Service was never setup. This article will go through the process of setting up your SharePoint 2010 search box step-by-step.
1. We need to first start the search service application in Central Admin.
2. Go to Application Management -> Manage service application.
3. Then start a new “Search Service Application.”
10. Once again, go to Application Management -> Manage service applications.
11. Select “Search Service Application,” then click the “Administrators“ ribbon button to configure the search service for administrators.