BoostSolutions’s Cascaded Lookup has received yet another upgrade. With the upgrade to version 3.0 comes many new features including: multiple parent-child relationship, multiple filtered lookup, the ability to display additional columns, and more. The best thing to come out of the most recent upgrade is the improved lookup performance (click here to check the details). Cascaded Lookup is so useful that it’s hard to imagine using SharePoint without it.
In many situations users have successive choices to make with dropdown menus, typically “Country” and “Province”. Well thanks to Cascaded Lookup you will not have to display all Provinces in the world but only the ones relevant for the chosen country. That’s easy. Of course there are many refinements like combining filters, removing duplicates etc.
Let’ s take a look at an agile project management scenario. Let us assume we have the following lists:
- A list of products with different category;
- A list of product release history with different version and release date;
- A list of project tasks by development team;
- A list of sprint backlog which associated some project tasks with a cascaded lookup column Related Tasks.
And we want to specify related tasks on sprint backlog by different product and version. We need to build a multiple parent-child relationship on sprint backlog list for the column related tasks.
By this way, the lookup items of child column (Related Tasks) will be filtered by parent columns (Product and Product Version). The following is the result:
More information on our website: http://www.BoostSolutions.com/cascaded-lookup.html
Latest posts by Lance Cheng (see all)
- SharePoint Server 2010 Boundaries and Limits - June 7, 2012
- Introducing Our Latest Creation: Cascaded Lookup 3.0 - February 16, 2012
- Performance Comparison: Cascaded Lookup 3.0 Vs Cascaded Lookup 2.x - February 16, 2012